I used to make Oreo macarons with crushed Oreos in the Mac shells. The process is a bit tedious and result not as consistent. Here is a simplier version, by making a simple spleckled shell with an oreo chocolate ganache filling. Still very yum!
Macarons shell ingredients (makes about 40 macarons)
- 150g icing sugar
- 150g almond meal
- 110g egg whites, split into 2 bowls of 55g each
- 150g caster sugar
- 38ml water
- 1g meringue powder
- 2 drops of gel colouring, I used black
- 120g 28% cocoa White chocolate
- 60ml cream
- 4 oreo cookies, blitzed into crumbs
- Follow my basic recipe to make the shells.
- Heat cream and pour over white chocolate that has been broken up into small pieces in a bowl.
- Wait for a minute before stiring the chocolate ganache. Leave in the fridge for 10 minutes for it to set.
- Mix in Oreo cookie crumbs (about 4 cookies, blitzed into crumbs beforehand).
- Spread or pipe a teaspoon of your chocolate ganache on half of your shells and top them with the remaining half of your shells.
- The filled macarons need to be kept in the fridge for 24 hours for the filling to soften the shells and also for the flavour to fully develop.