Cheesy mini bites suitable for little hands and bigger hands alike! We thought these were really good paired with soup. Especially toasted and slathering on more LRC garlic & parsley butter. Our bubble loves it so much, I thought I’d misplaced some blocks when in fact they were being consumed at an alarming rate! (breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon snack… 😅)
These bites are so quick to make with just a short proving time. Best late night baking candidate.
- 260ml Lewis Road Creamery A2 milk
- 50g caster sugar
- 60g egg (1 egg, size 7)
- 6g instant yeast
- 20g milk powder
- 440g baker’s flour
- 6g salt
- 65g Lewis Road Creamery Garlic and Parsley butter, softened
- 26 small cubed Mozzarella cheese (or about 2 cups grated) (Optional)
- Handful of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg yolk and 2 tsp milk (milk wash)
- Add milk, sugar, eggs and yeast into a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add milk powder, flour and salt to the mixture and mix into a dough. Cover with a tea towel and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Add butter cubes and work it into the dough. Lift and fold one side over the other; continue working it for about 5 minutes.
- Move dough onto a floured surface and continue to work dough by slapping it onto the surface, lifting and folding one side over the other. Dough is ready when surface is smooth.
- Roll it out into a rectangular shape and portion out 30g pieces of dough, you should get about 26 pieces.
- Fold each piece into itself a few times and add a cube or handful of grated cheese in the middle. Fold over and seal the dough, shaping them into balls. Repeat with the rest.
- Line a round cast iron pan with baking paper and place the dough balls in, each touching slightly.
- Cover and let it prove in a warm place for an hour.
- Brush egg wash on top and sprinkle on grated cheese.
- Fan bake at 180C for 15 minutes for the golden look.